New Kensington firefighters respond to chimney fire early Sunday morning


Image Courtesy Terry Rupert

New Kensington, Pa. – Multiple fire companies responded to the 1900 block of Meade Avenue early Sunday morning at about 1:00 am for a working chimney fire that caused moderate damages to a log type residential home.

New Kensington Fire Chief Ed Saliba Jr. said the fire was caused by an overheated flue pipe that ignited the framing around the pipe of the chimney. The fire extended into the roof rafters and burnt the roof around the chimney. Fire hoses had to be laid up a long stretch of the driveway to get to the fire scene.

There were no reported injuries. Crews were able to bring the fire under control by 2:00 am. Damages were estimated to be about $45,000.

Assisting New Kensington fire units was Arnold VFD, Lower Burrell EMS and a Rapid Intervention Team from Lower Burrell. Crews were clearing the scene at about 3:30 am.


© Images & Video Copyright Lowes Computers | Photojournalist |Paul R. Lowes | AKVNEWS.COM