© Images & Video Copyright Lowes Computers | Photojournalist |Paul R. Lowes | AKVNEWS.COM
New Kensington, Pa. – (STORY UPDATE @ 8:42 pm) New Kensington Fire Chief Ed Saliba Jr. told AKVNEWS.COM police and medics arrived on the scene just after 4:00 pm and confirmed a working fire on the third division (3rd floor).
Chief Saliba said all 6 residents were out of the structure as the fire started in the third-floor rear bedroom by a candle knocked over by a cat. The 3rd floor of the structure suffered heavy damage to the rear portion. The second floor received smoke and water damage while the first floor only sustained water damages. The residents are being taken care of by the American Red Cross. The occupants did have renters insurance however there were no working smoke detectors in the structure. One pet died in the fire.
Fire crews bought the fire under control in 24 minutes.
(Original Story) Firefighters in New Kensington with the support of surrounding communities responded to a two-alarm fire in the 600 block of 5th Avenue about 4:00 pm Friday afternoon.
Heavy fire and smoke were reported on the 3rd floor of the structure as multiple engines converged on the residence. Crews knocked the fire down within 30 minutes. There were no initial reports of injuries or the cause of the fire.
West Penn Power was summoned to the scene. It was not immediately known if the residents would be able to stay pending an assessment of damages, etc.
Assisting departments: Lower Burrell, Highland Hose from Tarentum and Arnold.